Sunday, August 4, 2013

Many Languages, One Hope in MANNAM Volunteer Association




We cannot exactly know how many languages are in the world. 
The number is different depending on the institutes/studies.
Usually speaking, there seems to be over 5,000 languages in the world. 

In MANNAM Volunteer Association, there are also many people from many countries
and many languages are there. Some friends, especially who come from African nations,
even they speak 3-5 languages. 

My undergraduate major is English Education 
and I studied linguistics in the course, too.
Also, I really tried to learn as many languages as possible.
Language resembles its country and people.
Of course, the difference of languages is sometimes causes people separated.
(You could see well in the stories of the Tower of Babel in the bible)
and so does the difference of races, cultures, religions, and political views.
However, I found that difference-the another name is 'diversity'-
makes world think about 'harmony and unity.' 

I just had studied in the desk before I participated in MANNAM's activities.
But whenever I took part in MANNAM Volunteering and many events,
met many friends from other countries and I didn't learn by textbook 
But, I FEEL its beauty and characteristics of their languages,
how they think, how they express, and so on. 

The one thing I really was surprised at
is that most people want to be together
and unity and peace for their happy life.

As you could see movie, there are a mass of languages,
but We found we have One Hope through our 'MANNAM(meeting)' and 'greeting'
(In the clip, the cute guys are greeting each other)

One Hope in each person's heart
is completed through your participation
through each nation's participation

and the One Hope is not what we have, 
but it's what we make,

World Peace!!!




1 comment:

  1. World peace seems too far with us, but it's always with us everyday.
    The more understanding each other, the more happy lives we have.
    I like MANNAM, because I can feel the simple but real peace in MANNAM.

    ReplyDelete